Search This Blog

Ketep Pass and Another Merapi Story

Friday, September 11, 2015

It has been a long time since my previous story I posted here, basically because I had so few vacations. I just had finished my thesis for almost a year of working and observing, so I barely had free time to travel. So perhaps my posts for next couple weeks would be only a way far throwback, if only I found some pictures in my disk lol.


Anyway, last Eid I did a very short visit to one of my favourite place, Ketep Pass, that is so close to my grandma’s house in Magelang, Central Java, Indonesia. It is located on the slope of Merapi Mountain so it usually fresh and calming and cold. BUT NOT THAT DAY.

On Eid, many people are also going out with family and I believe our tourism spots are far from sufficient to satisfy and to accommodate all human being living in Java island. Duh. Summary: Ketep Pass was so so damn crowded with so many cars and polluted air due to vehicles’ emission and fogs.
Okay that was too soon to write summary but whatever. The point is, I didn’t enjoy it that much. But here’s a little story:
This place is not so different with Merapi Museum in Sleman, Yogyakarta. Well, I could say, it has 98% same stuff! They have volcano theatre where you can watch the footage of Merapi’s eruptions from years to years. They have volcanic rocks collections *I don’ pay that much attention to it* and the full historical growth of this young and very active mountain. I may say, Merapi museum in Sleman is way better hehe
I remember in 2010 this mountain was erupting and its ash was reaching our house like 100km away from the mountain. I remember there were casualties and many ambulances were going around back and forth saving people. I’ll give you a picture of a volcano’s eruption’s ash in my home in the last picture.
Alright, back to this Ketep Pass. You are not only going to see the mountain and its beautiful green environment but also…you can grab some food ha! Roasted corn, boiled peanuts and soy and sweetpotatoes.  And trus me, these foods are soooo Java authentic, or let say, very Javanese food!


it should be better in real life than in this picture

Merapi summit in *ugh* fogs

Merapi miniature

Around Ketep Pass

Meta!!!

Merapi eruption

Meta and her cousin *I forgot her name lord forgive me

my lesbian friend and I

our kind of picnic is...watching other people having their picnics


Raining ash

Ash around my house


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Follow me!