Search This Blog

Jakarta, Monas (The National Monument)

Saturday, September 6, 2014

I was spending one day short trip to Jakarta, my first and priority was to get to IMAX because there isn’t any in my city, Yogyakarta. But the movie and walk around the Gandaria City Mall was only last like 2 hrs since I'm not really a mall lover. So, I took a nice and enjoying afternoon walk in the center of Jakarta, the heart and the symbol of this capital city of Indonesia, which is Monas, that stands for Monumen Nasional (National Monument). We can actually go inside this National Monument and going up with its lift to see Jakarta city from above. Unfortunately it’s open only at 8AM till 4PM, and I arrived there around 5PM.


National Monument (Monas)

Don’t worry, this place is never quiet. There’re always and will always be people. Even some people there only for little jogging or vacation, me, I like to enjoy the nice view while this National Monument wasn’t so crowded. It was Ramadan, the fasting month for muslims. Many people were selling traditional food of Jakarta, which is kerak telor in the yard of the place. I didn’t buy any since I got no companion and too awkward to eat all by myself in an open crowd. So I just took pictures of The National Monument and some other interesting stuff.


Ramadan is very close to Eid, many people were also selling many goods such clothes, shoes, and other souvenirs since Eid in Indonesia means a great celebration and it’s like the tradition of local people to wear all new stuff. Not to mention that many of the visitors here in National Monument in Jakarta are people of middle class, no wonder you will find some goods are sold way cheaper than in shop or mall. Also, not to mention that it is very rare for high class to end up enjoying or buying stuff from this National Monument since I believe they prefer some fancy high class-expensive-branded items. So if you ever heard the arrogance of Jakarta people, I think it doesn’t really exist here in National Monument (Jakarta Monas).

Even I talked to one of the seller here, he’s from Padang, North Sumatera. He was very nice, humble, and friendly. He gave me some advices as well, unlike some clerk in fancy mall that mostly really looking at your outfit, your appearance and will judge you as lower class and won’t even put any respect to you.


Last but not least, take care of your belonging. Quiet or crowded there’ll be always chance for some pocket picker to steal your moment.  

On my way, riding Bajaj, Jakarta-only public transportation
Outside Monas, Tugu Kuda




The National Monument



Human-sized toy. #Eh

Uptown sunset

Monas at night

No comments:

Post a Comment